Breakaway
We are back from our trip! We actually got back on Sunday night but my days since then have been filled with the craziness of trying to unpack and organize. Plus I had to go back to work right away.
Breakaway Drumheller 2006 was AMAZING! It would take forever to write about every little detail so I'll just outline some highlights.
The VBS went really really well. We started out with only a few kids but as the week went on more and more came and by Friday we had 30. There were so many adorable children that I just wanted to take home with me at the end of the week. It was really hard to say goodbye. Everything went according to plan and I was very impressed with all the kids in my youth group. They all pitched in and did their part and I think we really made a big impact on some kid's lives.
For the whole week we did the VBS in the morning and then the afternoons and evenings were filled with all kinds of activities. We went to the Royal Tyrelle Museum (the dinosaur museum), we went hiking through the badlands, we saw hoodoos, we floated down a river on air mattresses, we went to Reptile World (I held a boa constricter named Britney around my neck which was AWESOME), we visited an old folks home and brought some cheer to some sweet old people, we went swimming, had icecream and just generally had a lot of fun and laughs.
The week was not without its challenges. There were a couple people in our group that I had a really hard time with. Because I only see most of these kids once a week on Friday nights, I had no idea that a couple of them would be hard for me to get along with. Also, the issue of some of the girls in our group dressing, talking, and acting a bit...umm...inappropriatley came up. But overall it was a wonderful week and I feel that I really bonded with everyone and got to know a few of them better than I had before.
We left Drumheller on Friday and went to Calgary. We went to "KartWorld" on Friday night where I drove go karts for the first time in my life and had more fun than should be allowed. We stayed in a church that night and on Saturday drove to Banff with is officially my favorite place in the whole world. We did some touristy stuff there. I walked around with Tyson and Kerilyn and went to Starbucks and sat on a bench and enjoyed the breathtaking beauty of the mountains. I also bought a butt load of candy. THEN...one of the biggest highlights of the trip...we went white water rafting. It was AMAZING. Seriously one of the funnest things I have ever done in my entire life. For the first bit I pretty much thought I was going to die but the thrill and the rush of it was just so cool. We also did a bit of cliff jumping, 28 feet into glacier cold water. SO COOL. So cold. I've never been more cold. I jumped in the water and immediatley could not breath because of how cold it was. But oh what a rush.
We had lunch at Peters Drive In in Calgary (if you are EVER in Calgary, make a point of stopping at Peters. BEST milkshakes in the whole world). That night we went to a Calgary Stampeders game which was interesting. By this point in the trip everyone was getting a tad grumpy but we managed to not kill each other.
We went to church on Sunday and then returned home.
It was such a good experience and I am so so SO happy that I got to go.
I have a million and one other stories...like Landon catching a seagull, and my birthday, and Tyson's birthday, and chili, and Tyson getting peed on, and climbing death cliffs, and mean museum lady, and P-elvis, and Claude, and hot Austrailian guys, and waterslides. Okay I'll stop because obviously no one knows what I'm talking about. But if you want to know, don't hesitate to ask. :)
I will post some pictures soon.
Breakaway Drumheller 2006 was AMAZING! It would take forever to write about every little detail so I'll just outline some highlights.
The VBS went really really well. We started out with only a few kids but as the week went on more and more came and by Friday we had 30. There were so many adorable children that I just wanted to take home with me at the end of the week. It was really hard to say goodbye. Everything went according to plan and I was very impressed with all the kids in my youth group. They all pitched in and did their part and I think we really made a big impact on some kid's lives.
For the whole week we did the VBS in the morning and then the afternoons and evenings were filled with all kinds of activities. We went to the Royal Tyrelle Museum (the dinosaur museum), we went hiking through the badlands, we saw hoodoos, we floated down a river on air mattresses, we went to Reptile World (I held a boa constricter named Britney around my neck which was AWESOME), we visited an old folks home and brought some cheer to some sweet old people, we went swimming, had icecream and just generally had a lot of fun and laughs.
The week was not without its challenges. There were a couple people in our group that I had a really hard time with. Because I only see most of these kids once a week on Friday nights, I had no idea that a couple of them would be hard for me to get along with. Also, the issue of some of the girls in our group dressing, talking, and acting a bit...umm...inappropriatley came up. But overall it was a wonderful week and I feel that I really bonded with everyone and got to know a few of them better than I had before.
We left Drumheller on Friday and went to Calgary. We went to "KartWorld" on Friday night where I drove go karts for the first time in my life and had more fun than should be allowed. We stayed in a church that night and on Saturday drove to Banff with is officially my favorite place in the whole world. We did some touristy stuff there. I walked around with Tyson and Kerilyn and went to Starbucks and sat on a bench and enjoyed the breathtaking beauty of the mountains. I also bought a butt load of candy. THEN...one of the biggest highlights of the trip...we went white water rafting. It was AMAZING. Seriously one of the funnest things I have ever done in my entire life. For the first bit I pretty much thought I was going to die but the thrill and the rush of it was just so cool. We also did a bit of cliff jumping, 28 feet into glacier cold water. SO COOL. So cold. I've never been more cold. I jumped in the water and immediatley could not breath because of how cold it was. But oh what a rush.
We had lunch at Peters Drive In in Calgary (if you are EVER in Calgary, make a point of stopping at Peters. BEST milkshakes in the whole world). That night we went to a Calgary Stampeders game which was interesting. By this point in the trip everyone was getting a tad grumpy but we managed to not kill each other.
We went to church on Sunday and then returned home.
It was such a good experience and I am so so SO happy that I got to go.
I have a million and one other stories...like Landon catching a seagull, and my birthday, and Tyson's birthday, and chili, and Tyson getting peed on, and climbing death cliffs, and mean museum lady, and P-elvis, and Claude, and hot Austrailian guys, and waterslides. Okay I'll stop because obviously no one knows what I'm talking about. But if you want to know, don't hesitate to ask. :)
I will post some pictures soon.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home