The Dance

Vanessa's Blog

Tuesday, July 25

My Anberlin Night

Anberlin was awesome. Words...no words.
Let's start at the beginning.
On Sunday after church my dad took me, Tyson and Kerilyn up to West Edmonton Mall, which is where the show happened. It was at Red's which is now actually just called Ed's. Which is dumb and caused us some confusion. But we figured it out. We had a couple hours in the mall before the show started so we went shopping. Well, Tyson did. He had HMV gift certificates. We eventually made our way to "Ed's" and found the line up. It was quite the mixed crowd. There were all the "real" emo kids there for Hawthorne Heights, and then there were the little wanna be "punk rock" kids for Story Of The Year. And us...for Anberlin. haha. Not to stereotype or anything.
Anyway, we got in...I bought a couple sweet shirts. Some annoyingly loud and sucky band was playing (called Halifax). Seriously they were so loud that my teeth were hurting and I don't care if I sound like an old lady.
We didn't know in what order the bands would be playing so we just found some bar stools and sat down. We chatted as the next band started setting up. I wasn't really paying attention and soon the lights went down and the stage was dark. I saw the guys walk out on stage and all of a sudden I heard Stephen Christian's unmistakably beautiful voice come crashing out from the speakers. The next...how ever long it takes to do a set of 7 songs...was amazing. I was down right in the middle of the crowd singing my heart out. I'm pretty sure I was the only person there who knew every single word to every single song and people were giving me weird looks probably due to my passionate singing and maybe because they were being showered with my spit. But I didn't care. They only did 7 songs...which was sad. But every single one was one of my favorites and it was perfect. AHH...just thinking about it gives me shivers. Anyway...
After it was all over I felt like my whole night was complete. Tyson and Kerilyn agreed. We didn't need to stay for Hawthorne Heights or Story Of The Year. So we decided to leave and maybe catch a movie. But the times were all wrong for the movies we wanted to see so we ended up wandering the mall for 3 hours. It was Sunday night so all the stores were closed but the actual mall part stays open for late movies and punk rock concerts and such. We weren't getting picked up until 10:30 so we walked and walked and walked. We went to Starbucks which was still open and chilled there for awhile. We saw the whole entire mall. It really isn't as big as people think it is. We hardly saw more than 5 or 6 other people. We got our pictures done in a photo booth. We kicked an empty dasani bottle around. Tyson went for a ride in a little airplane. We threw pennies in the big lagoon thing and tried to get them into the ship. We looked at stuff in windows. Finally we sat on a bench near a fountain and stole pennies and nickels and dimes out of it and threw them over the railing into random objects on the floor below us. I was walking around edge of the fountain when I saw two security guards walking towards us. I quickly hopped down but they came over anyways. "Were you guys taking money out of the fountain?" the male guard asked. "Well...uhh...yeah, kinda sorta." I replied. "You know that money goes to charity don't you?" he said with a frown. "Oh no...I was not aware of that fact." So he stood there and watched with a very stern expression on his face as we dug the change out of our pockets and returned it to the fountain. He then proceeded to ask us what we were doing in the mall at "this time of night" and then asked us to leave. As soon as they walked away all three of us disolved into uncontrolable laughter and the oh-so-scary security guard threw a glare over his sholder. So we had to go outside and wait in the sweltering heat. It brought me back to my days of getting kicked out of 4 star hotel lobbies. Hehehe...
So that was my Anberlin night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home